The city of Sacramento has announced it has resolved a civil lawsuit in the July fatal police shooting of Joseph Mann, confirming reports from earlier in the week.
In an unattributed statement issued late Wednesday, the city said “there is no admission of liability on the part of the city,” but “at this time it is in the best interest of the city, and all parties to settle this matter.”
The city has agreed to pay $719,000 to Mann’s father, William Mann Sr., according to a source close to negotiations. The city did not immediately respond Thursday to a request to confirm the amount.
John Burris, a noted civil rights lawyer who represented William Mann, said that while the settlement amount was not as large as those given in other police-shooting cases across the country, the litigation was successful because it spurred police reforms.